CERN Private Cloud operating system images: CC7/C8¶
CERN Private Cloud operating system images: CC7/C8
Available imagesWe provide images of CERN supported Linux versions: OpenStack user interface while setting up your virtual system instance. Look for image names following this schema:
- C8 - x86_64 [YYY-MM-DD]
- CC7 - x86_64 [YYYY-MM-DD]
More information can be found in the Cloud user guide, including how to access older images.
Images contentThese images are provided as a base for further customization:
- provide CERN standard preconfiguration for non-puppet managed installations.
- contain rather minimal operating system installation.
- use single root partition layout with default filesystem.
- root filesystem is expanded to full disk capacity.
- do not define swap partition.
- automatically update installed packages.
- both IPv4 and IPv6 is enabled using DHCP (availability depends on hypervisor configuration).
- selinux is enabled.
- firewall is enabled and opened for ports: 22/tcp (ssh), 7001/udp (afs3-callback), 4241/tcp (arcd / acrontab).
- all standard updates yum repositories are enabled.
- only command line tools are installed.
- single image is provided for both puppet and non-puppet installations.
Images configurationFor installations to be managed by CERN Configuration Management (Puppet), please refer to documentation. (paragraph below does not apply to puppet managed systems)
Following is preconfigured on initial startup of the system from the image:
- System update
- Root access with ssh key and kerberos for system owner (*)
System configuration and managementFor installations to be managed by CERN Configuration Management (Puppet), please refer to documentation. (paragraph below does not apply to puppet managed systems)
Adding swapIf provided system memory is not enough for your application, you may add swapfile this way:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile.001 bs=1M count=1024 # chmod 600 /swapfile.001 # mkswap /swapfile.001 # echo "/swapfile.001 swap swap defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab # swapon -athan verify that it is working correctly by running:
# free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 1829 320 104 27 1404 1276 Swap: 1023 0 1023
Images building informationImages are built using Koji CERN buildsystem. (Koji internally uses ImageFactory, Oz and libvirt with qemu-kvm running kickstart installations.)
Kickstart files used to create images can be found on CERN GitLab LinuxSupport Koji-Image-Build pages.