CERN Private Cloud operating system images: SLC5/SLC6/CC7¶
CERN Private Cloud operating system images: SLC6/CC7/C8CERN runs OpenStack Private Cloud infrastructure: for information please consult documentation
Available imagesWe provide images of CERN supported Linux versions: OpenStack user interface while setting up your virtual system instance. Look for image names following this schema:
- C8 TEST - x86_64 [YYY-MM-DD]
- CC7 - x86_64 [YYYY-MM-DD]
- SLC6 - x86_64 (/i686) [YYYY-MM-DD]
Images contentThese images are provided as a base for further customization:
- provide CERN standard preconfiguration for non-puppet managed installations.
- contain rather minimal operating system installation.
- use single root partition layout with default filesystem.
- root filesystem is expanded to full disk capacity.
- do not define swap partition.
- automatically update installed packages.
- both IPv4 and IPv6 is enabled using DHCP (availability depends on hypervisor configuration).
- selinux is enabled.
- firewall is enabled and opened for ports: 22/tcp (ssh), 7001/udp (afs3-callback), 4241/tcp (arcd / acrontab).
- all standard updates yum repositories are enabled.
- only command line tools are installed.
- single image is provided for both puppet and non-puppet installations.
Images configurationFor installations to be managed by CERN Configuration Management (Puppet), please refer to documentation. (paragraph below does not apply to puppet managed systems)
Following is preconfigured on initial startup of the system from the image:
- System update
- AFS client
- Root access with ssh key and kerberos for system owner ()
- AFS Accounts of owner(s) /main user(s) with sudo root access ()
- Printing to printers in owner(s) /main user(s) building(s)
System configuration and managementFor installations to be managed by CERN Configuration Management (Puppet), please refer to documentation. (paragraph below does not apply to puppet managed systems)
Converting image system to a CERN 'standard desktop' installation
SLC6 and CC7 systems offer a 'CERN Recommended Setup' installation option: a system installation with development tools and graphical user interface installed. Images can be easily converted to this kind of installation (but not including graphical user interface) by running:
# /usr/sbin/cern-recommended-setup install
If you wish to install including graphical user interface, please run:
# /usr/sbin/cern-recommended-setup install-desktop
If provided system memory is not enough for your application, you may add swapfile this way:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile.001 bs=1M count=1024 # chmod 600 /swapfile.001 # mkswap /swapfile.001 # echo "/swapfile.001 swap swap defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab # swapon -a
than verify that it is working correctly by running:
# free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 1829 320 104 27 1404 1276 Swap: 1023 0 1023
- Not all user shells are installed by default. (addusercern will add user account without verifying this, making such account unuseable)
Images building informationImages are built using Koji CERN buildsystem. (Koji internally uses ImageFactory, Oz and libvirt with qemu-kvm running kickstart installations.)
Kickstart files used to create images can be found on CERN GitLab LinuxSupport Koji-Image-Build pages.
Support / Reporting problems
Please report problems to linux support @ CERN.