SLC6: Scientific Linux CERN 6¶
What will be Scientific Linux CERN 6 (SLC6) ?
Scientific Linux CERN 6 will be a Linux distribution build within the framework of Scientific Linux which in turn is rebuilt from the freely available Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Server) product sources under terms and conditions of the Red Hat EULA. Scientific Linux CERN is built to integrate into the CERN computing environment but it is not a site-specific product: all CERN site customizations are optional and can be deactivated for external users.
Scientific Linux CERN 6.0 (SLC6.0) TEST1
A TEST version of future SLC6 is available since 29.11.2010 for installs via the PXE network boot at CERN from the 'Expert Operating System Install Menu' / 'SLC 6 PREVIEW/TEST Install Menu'
Please note that this is a pre-release version NOT suitable for production purposes and possibly affected by numerous problems.
Since the SLC6 version is not supported yet please note that we (email@example.com) do not guarantee timely updates (including security ones) nor CERN helpdesk offers support for it. If you would like to participate in discussions about future SLC6 please join firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list.
- no 'recommended setup' for now.
- Kerberos keytab(s) are not generated automatically on install (see below)
- sometimes there are problems generating keytab files, if cern-config-keytab -f hangs forever , please remove /etc/krb5.keytab* files and retry.
- make sure that /etc/hosts does not include real DNS hostname for localhost (127.0.0.1 or ::1)
- make sure that keytab(s) are generated OK (see above)
more to come ...
Formal certification of SLC6 will start soon, we will keep you updated on these web pages.