Subject: Oracle and SLC
From: Andrea Valassi <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Iven <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jamie Shiers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:37:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Jan,

here is a short summary concerning Oracle and SLC.
Hope this answers your questions, sorry for the delay.

Please contact Jamie if you have other non-technical questions.

Thanks, Andrea

The Oracle client software is not meant to be included in the SLC software
distribution. At CERN, IT-DB will continue to install the Oracle software
on AFS. For outside labs, server and client software kits are available
through the IT-DB web pages for registered collaborators on completion of
a signed Collaborator Agreement.

Users at CERN taking part in the SLC certification are invited to build
and test their programs against the AFS installation of Oracle 10g:
  source /afs/cern.ch/project/oracle/script/setoraenv.csh -s 10102gcc323
This sets the user environment to work with the Oracle 10g installation on
/afs/cern.ch/project/oracle/linux/10102gcc323. This installation contains
the Oracle 10g standard client software for RHEL, including JDBC, ProC,
OCI and OCCI (the latter for the gcc3.2.3 compiler).

Client software "kits" for external institutes are presently available as
tar files for registered collaborators. The kits are based on the
Oracle10g "instant client" for RHEL and are meant to be used for
"lightweight" client installations, requiring much less disk space than
the standard client software installed on AFS at CERN. The client kits can
be used to build JDBC, OCI and OCCI applications, but not ProC (if
necessary, ProC can be used at external sites through the standard client
that can be installed using the server software kits). The tar files can
be installed anywhere by any user, the recommended deployment location
being /opt. It is recommended that the software should not be installed in
the system directory /usr, if newer Oracle and/or compiler versions may
need to be tested eventually on the same machine. An rpm for installation
in /opt may also be provided if required.