What is Scientific Linux CERN 5 (SLC5)
Scientific Linux CERN 5 is a Linux distribution build within the framework of Scientific Linux which in turn is rebuilt from the freely available Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Server) product sources under terms and conditions of the Red Hat EULA. Scientific Linux CERN is built to integrate into the CERN computing environment but it is not a site-specific product: all CERN site customizations are optional and can be deactivated for external users.
- User documentation pages
- Installation instructions
- Supported hardware
- Software updates (security and bugfix)
- Available software (repositories)
Scientific Linux CERN 5 Support LifetimeSince SLC/SL are based on sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL5) sources the support lifetime cannot be longer than the one proposed by Red Hat. Due to CERN environment constraints (available manpower, hardware purchases procedures .. etc.) Scientific Linux CERN 5 Lifetime may be actually shorter than RHEL5 one, subject to Linux Certification Committee decision.
At present following End of Support dates are foreseen:
- SLC5 / i386 - End of Support: before April 2017 (no exact date known at present)
- SLC5 / x86_64 - End of Support: before April 2017 (no exact date known at present)
- SLC5 / ia64 - End of Support: 31st March 2010 (see annoucement)